In nations around the world where English is not the first language, most parents want to teach their kids English at a very early stage keeping in mind its significance in academics and all other areas of life. However, they are not aware of how and where to start the task. In this piece, we will discuss 7 successful ways to teach your kids English at home.
Why Is It Needed to Teach Kids English at an Early Stage?
If someone asks you how you became fluent in your mother tongue, what would you say? Simple as that, it is because you have been speaking it since your childhood. English too can be learned in the same manner so that the kid attains sufficient practice.
What Are the Paybacks?
There are various paybacks of teaching your kids English which is as follows:
- Teaching English offers more exposure to your kids.
- They get in the habit of speaking in English.
- Learning a foreign language has reasoning and cognitive paybacks such as flexibility of mind, increased memory, problem-solving skills, enhanced creativity, and improved critical thinking.
- It gives better access to information available on the internet.
- It facilitates higher academic success.
- It enables cultural enrichment.
Ways to Teach Your Kids English at Home
Teaching children can be a bit hard as they cannot learn the traditional way that is, you can never make them sit a specific place and learn the rules of grammar from a book. This will prove to be too boring for them, and this way, the children may develop a fear of the language, which we would never want in any case. Therefore, they should be taught the English language in exclusive, interactive, and enjoyable methods. Such helpful ways to teach your kids English at home are as follows:
- Establish a Routine: The most effective way to learn is to practice daily, so it is best to establish a routine for your kid. Fix a specific time and adhere to it. Short sessions of say about 15-20 minutes are sufficient for very young kids because they possess a short attention span. Also remember, short and regular sessions are much better and effective than long and irregular sessions. Make sure the sessions are fun and exciting to keep the kid engaged throughout. Thus, establishing a routine is one of the essential and helpful ways to teach your kids English at home.
- Play Games: Children learn better while having fun; so, engaging them in fun games is the best approach to teach them English language. Prepare flashcards, play games such as Pictionary or scrabble and perform crosswords with them to learn and practice English language. Therefore, playing games related to English words is one of the successful ways to teach your kids English at home.
- Involve in role-play: Role-play is meant by acting out or performing the part of a character in a story or play. Prepare a story with your kid’s much-loved cartoon character or a super hero and perform it. Speak out the dialogues of the character and engage the kid in the story line to practise speaking English language. So, involving in role-play is one of the most successful ways to teach your kids English at home.
- Show Picture Books to Your Kids: Kids love bright-coloured picture books very much. Utilize these books to teach your kids the alphabet, names of fruits, vegetables, animals, and the like. Commence by pointing at the picture in the book and telling them what it actually is. Thereafter, ask them where it is and lastly let them name it themselves. For instance, first point towards the picture of a cat in the book and tell them “this is a cat”. Once they begin recognising the cat, ask them “where is the cat?” and let them show it to you. At last, let them look at the different pictures in the book and tell their names themselves. Therefore, showing and explaining picture books to your kids is one of the most successful ways to teach your kids English at home.
- Utilizing Songs or Rhymes: Today, there are various video songs and rhymes present on the internet. Most of these video songs and rhymes utilize actions that show the meaning of the song or rhyme. These types of videos are very effective and helpful in teaching kids English language because they learn the actions, which assists them to know the meaning even though they are not able to repeat the song/rhyme. Therefore, utilizing songs or rhymes is one of the successful ways to teach your kids English at home.
- Utilizing stories: Reading short stories to kids is an influential approach of teaching English language. It enables kids to learn the English language along with developing listening and reading skills. Therefore, reading and utilizing stories is one of the most successful ways to teach your kids English at home.
- Utilizing Daily Situations: Explaining daily situations and routine activities make the language learning much simple and easier. This assists children become fluent speakers as they are able to talk about any given topic easily due to speaking practice. Hence, always motivate your kid to talk to you in the English language and familiarize them with the things around them since the beginning. You can achieve it by:
- Discussing the activity that they are performing as and when they do it. For example, if your kid is wearing clothes, talk to them regarding their clothes, ask them to explain in what way they are wearing it, what color the clothes have and such others.
- Talking about the kind of furniture in your home, electrical appliances, kitchen utensils, and the like, to enhance their vocabulary. Inform them about the functions of each of these things in small sentences so that they can recall and remember them.
Therefore, utilizing daily situations is one of the successful and essential ways to teach your kids English at home.
Teach your kids when they are at a young age so that they do not hesitate in speaking English when they grow older. Most adults hesitate while speaking English because they are not self-assured and confident enough of themselves. This problem can be escaped easily by obeying the above steps. Besides, keep in mind that every kid learns at a differing speed; hence, you need not worry if your kid is taking some time to speak English. All you have to do is be patient and do not rush at all.